Sunday, March 29, 2009

I am a lazy bum!

For months now I have been trying to motivate myself into shape by suggestion.  This has not worked and I am now decided that I may actually have to put forth some effort to get into shape.  Granted I haven't been able to do much of anything the past two years that involved running so staying in shape has been a little difficult from that.  I can remember a younger me that could run for days and play ball until the gym was empty.  There is a part of me that misses that and then there is more of me that loves to be lazy.  Because of this laziness there is now more of me too.  

Liz and I have been talking for months about getting into shape and have always found some reason to put it off.  Most recently she has been trying to pull the pregnancy card on me.  Sheesh.. lame.  I on the other hand have a very valid excuse and until it is fixed I will remain seated firmly on my sofa.  You see, if I'm going to be running so much when I get around to it I'm going to need new running shoes first.  Until then don't get on me.

Yesterday I was at the first annual running of the leopards and met a guy at the starting line which I talked briefly with before the race.  We talked a little about the usual guy small talk stuff, which I can't say here as there may be women that read this and I can't let out the seceret of what guy small talk consists of.  This guy is my same age and gives me no excuse.  (After I get my shoes that is.)  Turns out that this guy ran 52 marathons in 2006.  He ran an official marathon every weekend the entire year! Talking with him and seeing so many others even much older than me staying fit has really motivated me.  In the near future I am going to be adding something to my blog to track my progress.  I urge anyone else to rise to the challenge with me and pursue a healthier you.  I don't know how we should do this but I don't want to be alone.  Even if you just walk a little every week lets do it.  I'd like to hear your ideas.


p.s. For motivation here is a link to this guys blog that I was talking to.  You should check it out as it has a nice little mention of the t-shirts I made for the race yesterday.  Cick on the part on top about want Dane at your next event to read what this guy has done. 

5 comments:

  1. Although you've always seemed in shape to me, I'm all with you, Brother. In fact, I started getting up an hour earlier every day so I could exercise about 6 weeks ago and I've now lost 14 lbs, (and I'm pretty sure not all of it brain tissue). Consistency and maintaining your motivation are key! I'll never be a runner, I just don't have the build, but I do enjoy the exercise.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, and congratulations for the tee shirt props, it's a great looking design!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thats awesome to hear Mike. I don't intend to ever be a real runner but I want feel good. I know Bret has been lifting some which has motivated me too.

    ReplyDelete
  4. The best gingerbread house mix and how to get a stain out of wool. You know, guy talk.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Funny. I started walking 2 weeks ago for an hour each night. I figured Hannah needed the exercise. Ha ha. Now it is a family affair. Last night we rode the bikes and Austin got winded by the end of Wheeler...he said "boy, it was a long winter and I am out of shape!" Let's do it!!! Not sure about actual running....my neighbor is doing marathons too. Hate him! j/k

    ReplyDelete