Thursday, January 22, 2009

Quit staring at my...



Quick what color are my eyes?  

If you can't tell me maybe you should look up when your talking to me. 

As you all may know I have the lucky opportunity to talk to people all day at work.  I used to really enjoy this and actually looked forward to it.  Lately things have changed a bit. 

The first time I really noticed it, was the first time I went out to a public event after my surgery.  I went to a Utah basketball game and slipped into the concessions line as I always do upon arrival. The game just isn't as good without a tub of butter with popcorn and something refreshing to drink. While in line I occasionally make small talk about the team or game with someone else in line.  I find it amusing sometimes by how many people get uncomfortable if you talk to them. Then there are others I'd wished I'd kept my mouth shut.  

This particular day I found myself in line with someone I actually knew.  We were talking and catching up on things when I noticed his eyes wondering southward.  At first it was no big deal but as his eyes stuck lower than my gaze for the remainder of the conversation. I wanted to slap him and tell him I have a personality too.

Since that day I have returned to work and returned to my boring life before my medical enhancements. I have returned to talking to the same people I used to, but its not the same at all. Now people just stare!  I'm up here people! I have more to offer.  Is it really that hard to make eye contact while carrying on a converstion? Ok, maybe it is sometimes.  

I remember once just after Liz and I got married we were driving across the country in our move to Florida.  Along the way we were stopping at historical sites. One such stop was at Winter Quarters in Nebraska.  We were the only guests at the visitors center and so we got a private tour.  I noticed throughout the entire tour, the young innocent sister missionary guiding us around kept staring down at me. This was a bit odd, but I thought maybe she's looking down to remember what she is supposed to say.  Some look up and off to the side to recall something, perhaps she looks down.  When we got outside I told Liz what was happening and asked if she'd noticed. She took one glance at me and said, "Well maybe if you did up your fly after using the restroom it wouldn't be a distraction to her."  We got in the car and sped away.

Sometimes it takes a honest spouse or friend to remind us that maybe it is us with the problem. Perhaps its not that people are rude, but its the wonderment of a slit throat that draws their attention.  Better that than my fly I suppose. 


2 comments:

  1. Hey Coke it's ok! Mitchial still has that problem and he is in the 2nd grade:) So funny. That's my brother! love ya

    ReplyDelete
  2. Just be glad people aren't staring at the freckle on your nose, (like someone else I know!)

    ReplyDelete