Friday, June 19, 2009

C.C. the Superstar!

We are only a short time into this summer and so far so good. Our family has been to a Luau at Bear Lake, had a mini vacation in St. George, and even got away to San Francisco for a bit, but none of these compares to watching C.C. play sports. He is so funny!

I think it is a huge understatement to say that C.C. is a competitive. Something he inherited from his mother no doubt.

I remember when Liz and I were first dating we decided to play chess. Or I should attempt to. Liz had never played before so I found it a great opportunity to show off my wisdom on a chess board. Nothing says I like you than taking her queen with a pawn. I was teaching her the different moves the pieces can make and what their names were while we went through the motions of a game. Mind you we weren't really even playing, merely instructing at this point. Liz became so frustrated when she was put into check the board went flying and pawns became missiles in the air. I ducked for cover and made a mental note to never play chess with Liz again.

Another time we were swimming and Liz wanted to show off her swim team experience and challenged me to a race across the length of the pool. She was fully confident she had found something she could beat me at as I swim about as good as a rock. Now I was trying to be a nice guy and let her off easy but she kept demanding a race. I tried every way I could to protect her from being humbled in the pool but she insisted. We both took our marks and promptly took off for the other end of the pool. Now I wouldn't say I'm a good swimmer but I felt good that day as I attempted to just not drown. When I touched the opposite wall I turned my head to see Liz about half way down the pool and with just a foot left in the water as she climbed out. She stormed off and didn't talk to me for the rest of the day.

I only share these stories to show you all where I think C.C. may have gotten a bit of his competitiveness. I'm not trying to rub it in at all Liz. ;)

This year C.C. has finished soccer in which he was by far the most intense little 5 year old we saw on the field. On the way to one of his games I could hear him talking to himself in the back of the car. He was saying, "I can't let the cougars win today. I've got to do good and beat them." Have you ever seen a 5 year old get psyched up for a game? By the way he refers to all the other teams as the cougars as in BYU because they are the bad guys. C.C. was by far the best scorer and only defender on the field. He even perfected his sliding kick to score several times.



After soccer we are now into T-Ball. Oh boy! This is exciting if you haven't had the privilege of watching 5 year olds kick dirt and chase bugs around a field. We've only had two games so far but I tell you I find myself just laughing sometimes because I don't know what else to do. The kids at this age are much more interested in the shape of the clouds then fielding a grounder. Except for C.C. that is. This kid has practiced for hours in our back yard just because he wants to. The best moment happened just the other day as C.C. ran the bases. Every other kid is lucky to know which order and direction to run but C.C. ran for home and didn't just slide into home but he full on dove, face first. It was a perfect slide other than the fact he stopped about a foot short of the plate. I have no idea where he learned this but he was safe by a mile as the kids in the outfield were probably still chasing an over throw.

4 comments:

  1. A little Pete Rose for sure, looks like a champ - just keep him away from the gambling halls :)

    I remember sitting at T-ball games - they can be exercises in patience, but it sure is fun watching your own children. Tell little CC we sure miss him; Thorin would love to get out there to have some fun.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I need to submit a note to the editor (my husband). All those who know Cory, know how competitive he is. The two stories (and there's more than that) do not accurately reflect the taunting and bragging that occurs from him prior to the event. So naturally one gets very frustrated when going up against him.
    But it's all fun and games, and I love him because of it, if not more :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Too bad CC wasn't on the T-ball team Jeff and I coached last year. It was hilarious. Jeff is out there seriously trying to teach the kids things while I am just standing in the middle saying "run, run over here, no over here...etc" it is the best game ever to be a spectator. It is even more fun when you get a parent who is totally into it and his kid is sitting on 2nd picking grass. Good job CC. Can't wait to see you and Austin play someday together...Major league?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Boy do I know you are competitive, I remember winning things and you pouting off. Funny! Hopefully CC will be a teacher and a belly acher:)

    ReplyDelete